Sunday, May 23, 2010

Week 3 Reaction: Patti Duresky, artist trading cards




I have also read about artist trading cards. I actually have an activity book that gives a few examples of this project and the cards are beautiful. This lesson is valuable because it incorporates and summarizes many of the topics that I’m sure that you address throughout the year such as composition, craftsmanship, and purpose. I know that you teach older students but I wonder how successful this would be at the elementary level? It is too bad you didn’t come across this lesson when we had our gaming class. An extended idea for the trading cards is to have the student actually exchange and place value on certain cards just like a baseball card convention....just a thought.

Patti's original post

I had a particularly successful project I added to my art history curriculum. Eighth graders need hands on projects. History is only interesting ( for some) if you make efforts to make it so. In exploring online resources I came across Art Trading Cards and decided to incorporate them with my art history curriculum. They are only 2X3 inch in size and fit into the baseball trading card sleeves. Coinciding with different art period and artists that we were studying , I'd have them make two cards for each assignment, one to trade and one to keep. On one side of the card would be a picture they'd copy from the internet and on the other would be the credit line information of the artwork or biographical information on the artist or the art period. You can find information online about making and trading art cards. It's a great way to get students interested in art and art history.

No comments:

Post a Comment